Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When someone asks me why I write, the easy answer is that I can’t not write; but that’s only part of the story. My objective in writing is to create connections that foster understanding and acceptance of each other. Tolerance is better than hatred, but who wants to be tolerated? Acceptance is my goal.

Some of the hallmarks of my identity as a writer are an extremely broad range of interests, an avid curiosity, and a very active imagination. Also, as it happens, my mother imbued in me a strong sense of justice. So when I began to write fiction as a means of encouraging acceptance, my imagination was caught by what looked like fascinating cognitive disconnects around the issue of homosexuality.

As science shows more and more compellingly with each examination of this characteristic, it is a natural and normally occurring phenomenon (in countless animal species as well as in humans), and it’s determined at least as much by biology as by any other influence. And it’s not changeable. Yet so many people, both straight and gay, hold onto the conviction that it’s “unnatural” and “abnormal” and “immoral” when it’s none of those things. So that led me to the conclusion that these convictions are based on something other than reason. Other than thought. Other than reality.

Which led me into the incredibly rich territory of areas such as psychology, social conditioning, and even brain structure (ever heard of the R-25 complex, the primary job of which is your survival, and which supports the conviction that something that’s right for you is right, in an absolute way, for everyone?) —all of which contribute to the perpetuation of the patently false conclusion that if someone is gay, there’s something wrong with them.

So maybe I won’t write homosexual themes into all my books—or maybe I will—but certainly it seemed like the perfect place for me to start. In A Secret Edge, you’ll find hints of themes having to do with religion and faith (do not confuse the two) that will carry forward into future books in ways that present my understanding of the relationship between existing religious institutions and homosexuality.

One of the primary concepts I hope to communicate is that we’re all in this together, and when anyone lives by the premise “It’s all about me” they’re hurting themselves as well as others. And since that applies to me as much as to anyone else, I welcome your comments about what you’ve read, here or in my books, and what you’d like to read. Tell me if you think I’ve missed an important point, or if what you’ve read has helped you understand yourself, someone else, or this human community as a whole any better than before.

And most of all, thank you for reading.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin, your objective was beautifully stated here.

I reviewed Secret Edge for Next Magazine here in NY and it seems to be selling well at Oscar Wilde bookstore where I work on Saturdays. I think it deserves to be, and is going to be, big. I'm definitely one of your fans! --Jerome

Anonymous said...

I have just finished your book and was very happy with the wonderful way in which you portrayed Jason's coming to terms with his sexual orientation. You put forward many compelling arguments that are a breath of fresh air on the subject and it would be liberating if many would look into these ideas so that true understanding could manifest on this subject. Also, thank you for the touching love between Jason and Raj. I believe that you really handled their growing romance, and the issues they needed to contend with, in the perfect way. Thank you for this book!

Unknown said...

Robin, wow. I have to thank you for your wonderful book. Not only didn't I enjoy the story I have to admit it was VERY well writen. I have read MANY gay literature books about the exact same story: two guys fall in love, then try to make it work, while coming out to the rest of the world. (or at least that is the general stories). Yours was BY FAR very different. You had heart and soul, love and hate. Your characters were real. I love the way you organized the book, the way you planted forshadowing, the writing style you have was very easy to read and made it feel like I was the characters. I adored all your twists, well maybe you wouldn't consider them twists... After reading like I mentioned before several similar books I just asume realistically like most gay teenage boys the coach is going to be homophobic so even I was shocked when it turned out he had a gay brother. I just Loved Loved Loved your story. Also thank you so much for the discussion questions at the end of the book I very much so enjoyed opening my mind even further. But I have to know... what are the 4 edges?! lol Thanks so much for writing the book the way you did. I am a psychology major and that book explained things simply and easily and very well. I hope you book accomplished just what you hoped to make people realize nothing is wrong with being gay. It didn't quite work on me because I already knew nothing was wrong with me ;-) lol. By the way Jerome better watch our because I might just because your Biggest Fan!!!

Unknown said...

I just got this book today and after reading your blog, I must say that this will be quite a good read. Especially since Jason meets an Indian boy, a situation I can relate to :D But, I'm only up to page 10 so back to the book!

Unknown said...

Loved the book. My first love was also Indian, so I immediately was hooked. I read the entire book in under 3 hours and I am simply amazed. It was good. I just came out to my best friend and she is pretty cool about it. Next my parents. lol. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

I would have love to have read this book when i started high school. I to ran track, found a lover and our relationship fell in and out and comming out was difficult. Reading this book just reminds me of how love can concure all. Love that you had the real parents replaced with his aunt and uncle. I learned a lot about getting to know somthing before you judge it harshly. Thank you and i hope to read more of what you got.

Anonymous said...

This book is awful... The author clearly did not do any research on young adults in high-school who are coming out to themselves and others.

Anonymous said...

I grew up as a gay boy in Sydney in the 50s and 60s and I'm envious in some ways (but not all) of gay kids today with resouces like the Internet and wonderful, wonderful books like 'A Secret Edge'.

In my day, as has been said many times before by older gay men, I thought I was 'the only one like that'.

I am looking forward to 'Thinking Straight'.

PS to the anonymous commenter above me: that's a broad statement you make there, mate. Any chance you could back it up with something to substantiate your argument?

Tomas said...

Thank you for the work you are doing. It has taken me so many years 33 to come to love myself as i am. I come from a latino back ground and i can not even imagine the blessing it would have been for me to read your book when i was a teenager. With the characters you create in your books your really have supported me in developing my self-love and respect. I hope you are planning to get your books translated in other languages, it would mean so much for so many latinoamerican teens that are really struggling with their own sexuality.

With great respect, love and gratitude.

Thomás said...

Hey Robin. i found a link to this blog in an amazon page. you're increadibly talented, putting yourself in someone else's shoes isn't the easiest thing to do. I should know, I write ;)

I'll look for your books, you had me deeply interested